Listen: Katie Day's anti-tech bro jam "San Francisco (Before the West Falls)"

Katie Day plays this Sat/7 at Amnesia.

Between POW!'s "Hi-Tech Boom," the schticky "Google Bus Song" from Cachebox, and Violent Vickie's "Fuck You!!!!!", it's safe to say San Francisco musicians — the ones that are left here, haha! sorry — are currently leading the nation in anti-gentrification music.

This is a good thing, of course. It means the city still has a pulse. You know what we've been sorely lacking, however? As Emma Goldman basically said, give the people a summery, socially conscious anthem we can fucking dance to.

Enter Katie Day, who self-released her new EP, Burn It to the Ground, yesterday. There's a lot to like here, including a love song for the Lower Haight, but the instant earworm is a semi-tongue-in-cheek indie-electro-pop jam called "San Francisco (Before the West Falls)," with shimmery, bubble-gum synths and keys layered with lyrics that lament the bygone days when coffee was 80 cents, and give serious side-eye to the tech bros moving into her neighborhood: "Someone told me about the boys next door/They put the boards on the window of the record store/And now the kids don't get to play no more..."

"The extreme wealth disparity we're experiencing in SF as a result of tech can make living here as an artist straight-up oppressive, but I think having a song that speaks to that oppression and makes you want to get up and dance anyway can negate any feeling of self-pity, even if you're living under constant threat of eviction while there's trained German Shepherd acting as an elevator operator at the Google office," Day wrote me when I asked about her inspirations. "It's something they can't take away from you."

Get your un-gentrifiable dance on when she plays with Stages of Sleep, New Spell, and Memory Motel this Sat/7, 8pm at Amnesia.

Comments

poor management, terrible beer. Only drink that tap beer if you can stay home the next day.

Posted by Guest on Jun. 04, 2014 @ 3:55 pm

It's just a teeny bit hypocritical to blame tech workers for the closing of local record shops, in a song being distributing digitally.

Posted by Drew on Jun. 04, 2014 @ 12:21 pm

I'm pretty sure you're using that word and you don't know what it means. Unless Katie invented the mp3 codec, FLAC lossless audio codec, or bandcamp...

Posted by Ty on Jun. 04, 2014 @ 5:51 pm

IT MAKES SO MUCH SENSE NOW!

Posted by Devon on Jun. 05, 2014 @ 11:36 am

God forbid anyone living in SF less than 75 years speak out about the changing landscape! Some of us weren't lucky enough to be born and raised in California. It's pretty ridiculous to judge someone based on where they were born among other things that are probably assumptions.

Moving on...this album's got soul. Especially #5. Throw on those Beats/generic ear buds/Dell computer and have a listen, eh?

Posted by turducken on Jun. 04, 2014 @ 1:40 pm

Never mind the bullocks. Here's a really good album. I work in tech but I'm not a techie, per se. I've spent hours and hours working at coffee shops (freeloading). Now I work in a big ol' office building downtown.

Katie has been playing small venues for a long time. She's talented and creative on stage. Check out the show on Saturday, assuming you can get in.

Posted by Long time fan on Jun. 04, 2014 @ 2:40 pm

There's a lot of hate on this page for a message that, when rolled up to its highest level, pretty much everyone can agree on. It's obvious that the gentrification of San Francisco is accelerating at a rapid rate, a rate at which is not typical of a city its size. Some people are upset by this, disturbed by it, others are part of it, but I think the point is that it is happening... it's a real thing that is occurring in our lives at this time. It's capitalism, we are a capitalist society, and so in the end... it is what it is, but anyone who lives in SF absolutely has a right to share their opinions on it, especially if it pisses some people off.

Bringing someone's educational background into an argument on whether or not you are okay with some Katie being upset with rapid gentrification seems like a fools errand to me. Katie's music is commentary on something that is actually happening in San Francisco, in addition to being fun to listen to and very well recorded, engineered, and produced. She decided to assign her name to an EP that has her thoughts and feelings on the gentrification of San Francisco.. what does it matter that she went to the Berkely School of music and hasn't lived here "long enough" to have the "right" to comment on it, according to Guest, Guest, Guest, Guest, and Guest who sit back in anonymity and snark at someone exercising her right to say what is on her mind?

Is Talib Kwali not allowed to rap about the plight of young black men and women in low income areas all over the United States, because he was privileged to be raised by two professors and was able to attend New York University and study experimental theater? What about Common, Jim Morrison, or Tom Morello, all highly educated musicians with "privledged" upbringings who sang, rapped, or played guitar to music that some people would argue they don't have a "right" to talk about, because it's “hypocritical.”

So buy the EP, or don’t buy the EP, but above all other things, calm down, stop yelling, and listen to some music.

99WjS

Posted by Ty on Jun. 04, 2014 @ 5:44 pm

Posted by Ty on Jun. 04, 2014 @ 5:46 pm
heh

I suppose people mock the education of these sorts of people because of the sameness, the left is now a doctrinaire uni-mind.

Getting life points from someone who likely got their views from the person standing in front of the class is not all that appealing to many.

Also, one wonders how you feel about getting your politics from Screwdriver or Ted Nugent? Do you laugh at their politics or do you think to yourself, that "Nugent really 'speaks truth to power'?"

or

Screwdriver really has me rethinking my views on race.

Or is that you just agree with this persons views?

Posted by Guest on Jun. 04, 2014 @ 6:23 pm

1) Stating "the left is now a doctrinaire uni-mind" is quite the generalization, and I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to convey with that statement.

2) Is Katie the person standing in front of the class in this analogy? Your argument is what... that people who are high achievers in education should not be upset when people attack them personally, because they were in the front of the class in school?

3) No, I do not get my politics from Ted Nugent, and I don't know who Screwdriver is. I also don't troll Ted Nugent forums talking about hippie lovefest treehugging orgies and how socialized health care is the jam, because that would be a waste of my time.

4) I'm not sure whether I fully agree with all of Katie's views, and that's okay.

Posted by Ty on Jun. 05, 2014 @ 11:58 am

outside your zone.

There is an army of sameness on the left, just as there is such on the right.

People who ramble about white guilt, complaints about the manarchy, and concern themselves with "speaking truth to power" all come from the same place that people who talk about having to be born again come from. This is not a high concept. I suggest the True Believer by Hoffer as a good place to start. Outside the Zinn reading list I suppose.

I think your post is a little willfulness on not getting it, unless the modern progressive education is that narrow and revealed.

Posted by Guest on Jun. 05, 2014 @ 4:43 pm

"above all other things, calm down, stop yelling, and listen to some music."

Right, all you Guests, you're supposed to take the insults and take the blame for all the bad things that are happening in SF from someone who rolled in from Indiana a few years ago with a submissive smile.

Posted by Guest on Jun. 04, 2014 @ 7:50 pm

I don't purport to know what you are supposed to do, since I don't know you, but I think the most constructive thing to do would be to provide your own commentary of what is happening in San Francisco as it relates to this topic and debate it, rather than attacking the message of an artist who has observed rapid gentrification, a thing that I think we can all agree is actually happening right now in SF.

Frankly, your argument, and the arguments of many people on this thread, are really no more constructive or useful than a yo-momma joke directed at Katie. But what do I know, I've only lived here for three years!

Posted by Ty on Jun. 05, 2014 @ 11:12 am

Also, sorry for the triple post... not sure what happened there.

Posted by Ty on Jun. 04, 2014 @ 5:52 pm

PERSIA "Google Google Apps Apps" feat. DADDIES PLASTIK - OFFICIAL MUSIC VIDEO

Posted by BlueLines on Jun. 04, 2014 @ 7:50 pm

How could I?! Thanks. The rest of y'all -- maybe take a deep breath, go for a stroll around the block?

Posted by Emma Silvers on Jun. 05, 2014 @ 2:13 pm

To reply in anonymity under the name "GUEST" to an artist who has placed her name behind her music and replies takes either a cowardice or sense of irony that is truly incredible.

Posted by Evan on Jun. 04, 2014 @ 10:26 pm

I'm going to start this off by telling you a little about myself. You see, I will be dying in about two weeks. Why? Because I existed too much. Some of you take it for granted: the lives you meet and the impacts you can make. I was only allowed to exist for a couple years, yet at the same time had existed for one hundred and one. I am infinitely wise, and at the very same time infinitely naive. Though it may sound like I am gloating, I am merely telling it how I see it. I grew up many years after a Ms. Katie Day did and in a vastly distant lifestyle, but we had, indeed, shared our stomping grounds. I could truly speak only of my own family, but I knew and respected many families in our area. A select many of us dealt in sound morals, healthy outlooks, and good tidings. But, never were one of us given the things we owned. It was these times, I believe, before the days of our fancy educations, that taught us the values of living life without greed, To pursue the life of an artist, and create something of nothing, is the truly selfless path. So many of us chose this path, knowing well the consequences of their decisions. Some had given their lives in the pursuit of these "luxury" jobs, when they knew every odd was stacked tall against them. Yet, we care not. Even I chose this path, sacrificing every honor that I've obtained to fuel a life I may never achieve. Yet, AT THE VERY SAME TIME, I have done none of these things, lived none of this life. I grew up on a distant planet where the people fly and live forever until one of us kills another. For me, it means I just flew too close to the sun and now my wings must burn.

For you, it means that I'll be burning the haters with me.

I'll be calling you out by the only tags in your character, the time in which you've posted your comment. Everything else you've chosen to veil beyond a goddamned computer screen. I will say these words, to you, with my mother fucking name attached. Juan Yhung. You read it there, you could read it in the fucking tagline, you could even read it if you clicked on my fucking homepage and opened my facebook; my profile picture is Batman, so you'll know me when you see me. As for the fellow lovers of my moon, my sun, my stars, Katie Day, I will be giving you shout-outs as well, so STAY TUNEDD!!!!!!

Ahem!

"That's nuts!" Posted by Guest on Jun. 03, 2014 @ 9:13pm: Does it feel at all weird to be a close minded fuck who's stuck on old times. Katie Day is THE FUTURE, and anyone can speak volumes on how experience doesn't come from time spent alone. My girl's got skills.

"Actually, the" Posted by Katie Day on Jun. 03, 2014 @ 10:33 pm: I didn't understand a bit of that, but I'm smoking, and I agreed with it all anyway. You go girl!!!

"Really? My experience is that" Posted by Guest on Jun. 04 2014 @ 5:57 am: fuk u. Seriously though, way to be a guest, you fucking pussy. Show me a mothafukkin' screen name up in this piece and I'll go Captain Highdick on your ass. Don't you ever speak to Katie Day in that tone again, mister, or I'll be telling your father on you the next time I bed him. She is a Saint, through and through. Furthermore, your entire second paragraph can suck my fAcking cAck. You're scum and you should feel like it.

"Music will never stagnate, my" Posted by Katie Day on Ju. 04, 2014 @ 9:54 am: Katie Day, puttin' down the haters, you go girl!!!

"As long as you mix with the plebs" Posted by Guest on Jun. 04, 2014 @ 9:08am: I can't understand a damn thing you said, but you really shouldn't be a dick about it.

"PLOT TWIST! This Guy is" Posted by Devon on June. 04, 2014 @ 10:49 am: I love you. Never change.

"Thanks a lot, Katie" Posted by Former German Shepard Elevator Operator on Jun. 04, 2014 @ 11:07 am: I love you more, change for me.

"Sounds like things have been" Posted by Devon on Jun. 04, 2014 @ 12:05 pm: Shut up, Devon, I don't love you anymore.

"Hi :)" Posted by Guest on Jun. 04, 2014 @ 10:53 am: Let's be friends, we have potential.

"To reply in anonymity under" Posted by Evan on Jun. 04, 2014 @ 10:29 pm: I knew an Evan once and I hated him, but you seem like a cool guy, Evan.

Uhhhhh, I've gotten kind of sick of reading the rest of these comments. Some of them are expressing a point that's already gotten across, and some of them are just spewing pure bullshit. You know who you are.

Ty you posted like 7 different novels in the comments, but I agree with your titles if they are successful in conveying the message of your long as fuck post.

To the people debating the fucking ethics of a dog working at google, just like what the fuck guys, do you honestly have nothing better to do.

Everyone else I left out, u want sum fuk???

As always, Katie, you are my everything.

Honestly, I just enjoy the fuck out of listening to Katie's music.

Posted by Juan Yhung on Jun. 05, 2014 @ 1:37 am

Thanks for that trenchant bit of crazy, Juan.

Posted by Chromefields on Jun. 05, 2014 @ 6:11 am

Give hate out and you get it back, but amplified...human nature being what it is. Look at you Juan, you're spinning out of control with it.

It's a drug, basically. An artist like Katie can choose to exploit it for attention, like Fox News and SFBG do, or be a better person and not. But if you do, you better not be sensitive to the blowback. That even goes for everyone, including posters on a message board.

One thing for sure, it ain't the corner of Love and Haight anymore.

Posted by Guest on Jun. 05, 2014 @ 7:59 am

Well we can agree on one thing, Katie has gotten [overly-]amplified hatred in regards to her EP. Also, one could make the argument that any music ever made that has lyrics in it has exploited (some would say leveraged, utilized, or capitalized on) something for attention.

The Insane Clown Posse "exploited" the misunderstanding of "fucking magnets" for profit, but the magnets aren't at their door with torches and pitchforks.

Posted by Ty on Jun. 05, 2014 @ 11:20 am

might like her tunes, that doesn't mean that we want a lecture in politics from her.

Posted by Guest on Jun. 05, 2014 @ 5:30 pm

Hey guys no seriously the trolls are right, like, fuck poor people, totally.

Posted by Pete on Jun. 05, 2014 @ 12:44 pm

aren't you the real estate lobbyist I met at Chiu's victory party?

Posted by ChristianPatriotLandowner on Jun. 05, 2014 @ 8:04 pm

Oh the delicious irony of the NEMA apartments ad splashed in the background of this page.

Posted by Guest on Jun. 05, 2014 @ 3:19 pm
Posted by Guest on Jun. 05, 2014 @ 3:36 pm

as opposed to republicans who give money to both

Posted by ChristianPatriotLandowner on Jun. 05, 2014 @ 8:08 pm

The best art comes from the displaced, the struggling artist. This all sounds like it's working as intended. Keep up the good work, San Francisco and Katie Day!

Posted by Guest on Jul. 01, 2014 @ 4:50 pm

I feel no sympathy for you and your "plight" of gentrification. Noone forced you to move to SF. If anything you are the real problem. You complain about SF bettering itself by allowing Silicon Valley money to fund its various facets of living but deride the people who work day in and day out to provide it. You should be ashamed for being the biggest hypocrite of them all. The fact that you can sit their and claim to be apart of the solution but wave your banner of hypocrisy in the publics face is sickening. Besides if gentrification was a real concern of yours prior to your relocating there, you would have done your research and discovered SF has one of the highest costs of living in the US regardless of gentrification anyway.

Posted by Guest on Jul. 10, 2014 @ 8:13 pm