An overnight visit to St. Helena yields great eats (and killer English muffins).
Other dinner options: drinks and bites at Bar Terra (1345 Railroad Ave, St. Helena. www.terrarestaurant.com/BT) the more casual offshoot of Terra from Hiro Sone and Lissa Doumani of Ame here in SF, and the welcoming Cook (1310 Main St, St. Helena. www.cooksthelena.com), a local favorite for house-made pastas and hearty, seasonal mains. If it's a steak you crave, the answer is Press (587 St. Helena Hwy, www.pressnapavalley.com), which also has a very deep wine cellar.
The next day, grab a coffee and hang with the locals at Napa Valley Coffee Roasters (1400 Oak Ave, St. Helena. www.napavalleycoffee.com). And then I recommend going for a walk in the vineyards — you'll see plenty of neighbors out with their cute dogs. Your brunch should be on the terrace at French Blue (1429 Main St, St. Helena. www.frenchbluenapa.com), another place worth a revisit: There are new owners and a new chef. My brunch dish of oak-grilled trout with poached eggs and crisp rösti potatoes was smashing, ditto my mother's eggs Benedict, which featured a light hand with the dill hollandaise. The meal made me want to head back for dinner soon.
Last tip: Before you hit the road, you'll want to pick up some freshly made English muffins from Model Bakery (1357 Main St, St. Helena. www.themodelbakery.com), along with anything else that catches your eye in there. Be careful.
Marcia Gagliardi is the founder of weekly tablehopper e-column www.tablehopper.com. Get her app: Tablehopper's Top Late-Night Eats. On Twitter: @tablehopper.
Most Commented On
- And your real name is Shannon? - March 11, 2014
- Yes, Shannon, some of us prefer evidence to conjecture, - March 11, 2014
- Total equality is infinitely expensive. - March 11, 2014
- So Tiny wants blacks to be barred from evictions? - March 11, 2014
- I would LOVE to know your - March 11, 2014
- Marzia's claim that the PUC - March 11, 2014
- Proud Oakland! - March 11, 2014
- So the ADA and the Civil - March 11, 2014
- I am not a transplant, 5th - March 11, 2014
- SFBG love to tell tech what they should do but when did SFBG - March 11, 2014