Facebook is binary no more.
The social media company announced via its Facebook Diversity page that profiles will now allow for a custom gender choice, a change long sought by transgender rights activists.
Traditional social networking (and even dating) websites mostly allow only the choice of male and female. But now Facebook has functionality to add multiple gender identifiers under a customizable text menu. The change was brought about through a collaboration with a number of LGBT advocacy groups, including GLAAD.
"This new feature is a step forward in recognizing transgender people and allows them to tell their authentic story in their own words," said GLAAD President Sarah Kate Ellis, in an announcement on their website.
The new function has up to ten variable gender options: transgender, cisgender, androgynous, genderqueen, neutral, and others. The list will be added to in the future, GLAAD said.
Most Commented On
- SF certainly needs to lose it's "home for losers" rep and - March 7, 2014
- Equation - March 7, 2014
- I'm not deaf to other people - March 7, 2014
- I am a technology - March 7, 2014
- An emergency 12-month - March 7, 2014
- 20 years is not enough to - March 7, 2014
- Price controls always suppress supply leading to higher prices - March 7, 2014
- Too many people make money from rent control for it to go away - March 7, 2014
- REPEAL RENT CONTROL - March 7, 2014
- Aaron, how do you know it is just one commentator here who - March 7, 2014