Mayor Ed Lee announced an executive directive on Dec. 18 for all San Francisco government departments with a hand in housing development, to prioritize construction of affordable units.
The Department of Building Inspection, Mayor's Office of Housing, Planning Department and others have all been directed to tailor their activities to the directive — a stark indicator of just how potent this issue has become after months of high-profile evictions and progressive organizing and demonstrations.
"It isn't always on the private sector, we've got to have a stake in the action as well," Lee told reporters. "(San Francisco) is expensive. But we don't have to accept it. We can do something."
With the tech-fueled housing crisis pricing out San Franciscans left and right, and Ellis Act evictions surging 170 percent in the last three years, the city is in dire need of housing help. But as progressives have noted before, you can't simply build your way out of this crisis, as Lee acknowledged.
"The other part of this directive is to also get the other departments to work with me and the private sector to build more housing in all the different spectrums, and middle class housing," Lee said.
Peter Cohen, co-director of the Council of Community Housing Organizations, said Lee's plan sounded like a step in the right direction. "The proof's in the pudding, of course," he said. "It's the kind of directive that I wish, honestly, would come out a year ago. The answer has been, let's keep building and hope it fixes itself."
Lee made his announcement at the nearly finished Natoma Family Apartments, a new affordable housing development. The building will have 60 units, and will open in January. The number of San Franciscans who applied to live there? 2,806.
Most Commented On
- Bizzzzzzz.... - July 25, 2014
- Marcos is just pissed that - July 25, 2014
- You honestly believe that? - July 25, 2014
- PY, you're up early today! - July 25, 2014
- soccercomplex - July 25, 2014
- Say what? Maybe you should be - July 25, 2014
- The US government is morally bankrupt - July 25, 2014
- the heat in Walnut Creek - July 25, 2014
- Troll, why do you hate America? - July 25, 2014
- Hey, just because she is a Jewish "writer", it does not follow - July 25, 2014